The annual fee agreed on your appointment and included in your contract letter will only be paid once per year following receipt of an Annual Report. Your fees are processed automatically on receipt of your annual report, therefore there is no need to submit a claim for this fee. Please note that all fees paid to External Examiners (including the mentoring fee) are subject to deduction of PAYE in line with HMRC Regulations. If you have undertaken a mentoring role you should claim this through your expenses.
Please note that the Finance Department will not sanction the payment of any fees until a completed Annual External Examiner Report Form has been received by Student Learning & Academic Registry and our Human Resources Department has received confirmation that your original passport has been verified in accordance with UKVI requirements.
When will I be paid my External Examiner Fees?
The annual fee is paid once per year automatically on receipt of your Annual Report.
What are my External Examiner Fees each year?
Your Fee Band is agreed on appointment, or subsequent change of duties and the amount is stated in your contract letter.
What if I do not agree with the Fee Band or I undertake more or less examining duties throughout the year?
You should liaise with the School Administrator. Schools have the discretion to amend the amount of the fee paid or pay an honorarium, depending on certain circumstances.
What if I do not get paid my Fees?
Please refer back to payroll deadlines
This could be due to the following reasons:
- Non submission of an Annual Report.
- Non submission of a Personal Details Form.
- Non-compliance of UKVI requirements – refer to FAQ's in relation to the right to work checks requirement.
- If your Annual Report is processed after the 11th of the month, you will not receive your fees until the 26th of the following month.
- You have recently resigned or your tenure has ended – any claims should ideally be forwarded to the relevant School prior to your leaving date, or if this is not possible, within 2 months of your leaving date.
- You act as both an Undergraduate and Postgraduate External Examiner and you have only submitted one report. Fees will only be paid when both reports are received.
If you have submitted all of the above, you should contact APR@tees.ac.uk. If you haven't submitted the above then you will NOT be on the payroll system. In order for the University to be able to make payment to you, please submit all documentation as soon as possible to APR@tees.ac.uk.