Subsistence rates are paid in line with the Teesside University Travel, Subsistence & Exp​enses Policy (unless otherwise agreed), detailed below: 

​Amount Claimable
Away from home or a University
Campus for > 5 hours but < 10 hours
​£8 (Provinces)
£10 (UK Capital Cities)
​Away from home or a University
Campus for 10 hours or more in a 24
hour period
​£20 (Provinces)
£25 (UK Capital Cities)

To claim back your expenses you will need to complete the expenses claim fo​rm and submit this to the School along with receipts, normally within one month of travel. 

​What are the mileage rates?​

Mileage rates are paid at 45p per mile up to 120 miles.

Where prior approval to use own vehicle has been sought, for claims in excess of 120 miles, the Claimant will be restricted to reimbursement of the lower of:

(a) Actual mileage claimed at current rate of 45p per mile

(b) Daily car hire rate excluding VAT of £25.00 1600cc plus fuel at the current fuel rate of 17p per mile for the full journey

(c) Standard class fare by rail (cheapest available for the date of travel)​

Where do I send my completed Expense Claim Form?

Please return to the relevant School at Teesside University (even if you are a Validated Partner External Examiner). Please remember to keep a copy of the form and provide us with all receipts for your expenses.

If I undertake a mentoring role, how do I claim the £100 fee?

There is a section on the expense claim form to reclaim the one-off £100 mentoring fee.   Please note that the mentoring fee is subject to deduction of PAYE.

When will I get paid my Expenses?

Expense cl​aim forms should be submitted to the School following completion.  Expenses are paid on a weekly payment run. Please allow a few weeks for your expenses to be processed.

What should I do if I do not receive my Expenses?

Contact the relevant School.  We recommend you keep a copy of your expense claim form until paid.

Who will arrange my Travel and Accommodation?

Schools will normally make hotel reservations on behalf of Teesside University External Examiners.  In the case of Validated Partners, External Examiners will normally book their own accommodation based on recommendations from the Partner and in line with Teesside University guidance regarding costs.  External Examiners should liaise with the Validated Partner regarding travel connected with Assessment Boards.